Friday, November 17

Smoke rising, Nowa Huta steelworks

I went back to Nowa Huta today. Scott and I first went there on the CELTA course a few months ago, but this time I let the tram go all the way to its terminus. I walked for about an hour and a half towards Nowa Huta proper then, passing the old and new steelworks.

The old works looked at first sight to be abandoned, the buildings all grey and brown and decayed, most of the windows smashed. But I was wrong. From several chimneys rose plumes of smoke, and it was obvious that this, one of Poland's largest steelworks, was working despite, or in spite of, appearances.

Closer to Nowa Huta itself, the works look newer and shinier, but less interesting. The decayed relics of industry impressed me, though not my lungs, and definitely not my camera. On one or two shots I've noticed that there is some sensor dirt that needs dealing with; I had this problem in Peru and thought I'd dealt with it.


No comments: